Next Start Date: September 18, 2018
Tutor: Olive O'Brien
Duration: 6 weeks - online writing class
Our Online Creative Writing 101 class is suitable for complete beginners and no writing experience is required. It’s also suitable for individuals who haven’t written anything for a while and who would like to get back into creative writing and a routine.
You will be given weekly notes and assignments to help you. Olive will read every assignment and will provide written feedback.
The main thing is to free up your imagination and above all have fun!
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart…Williams Wordsworth
Topics covered will include:
(1) Introduction – In this first module, we’ll look at how to find ideas, the importance of observation and the power of memory. We’ll also look at establishing a writing routine and the importance of reading.
(2) Characterization – Characters are often the reason we read in the first place and we need someone to identify with. In this module we’ll examine what makes successful characters in fiction.
(3) Point of View. Every piece of writing comes from a particular point of view and one of the most important things you must decide upon is that of person.
(4) Plot and Endings. Whatever you’re writing, there will be a plot – something must happen to your characters. We will also examine endings and some do’s and don’t’s!
(5) Dialogue, Settings. In this module we will look at dialogue and provide some tips and suggestions as to how to write effective dialogue. We’ll also look at setting, the relationship between settings and character.
(6) Revision and Getting Published. In the final module, we will look at how to revise and improve your writing and how to get your work into print.
Olive O'Brien is an author and publisher. Olive has published three children's books. She has a Masters in Journalism. Her eco-friendly book publishing company Silver Angel Publishing was shortlisted for the 2012 David Manley Emerging Entrepreneur Awards and for the Green Communications Award 2012.