Free Writing Contest
We run a free to enter short story writing contest.
Deadline: Last day of every month
We accept short stories up to 3,000 words. Open theme. Please read the full rules below before entering the contest.
January 2019 Winner
Congratulations to Sharon Frame Gay our January 2019 winner.
- We receive a high volume of email. Please do not email us about how to enter the contest. All rules and details on how to enter are listed below.
- This contest is open to all writers aged 18 or over, all nationalities. Entries should be in English.
- Limit of one entry per month.
- Free to enter.
- Maximum 3,000 words. Any theme.
- This is an ongoing monthly contest. The closing date is the last date of every month.
- Entries should be submitted to [email protected]. Unfortunately, we don’t accept postal entries.
- Word count should appear in the upper right-hand corner of the first page.
- Send your entry as an attachment. We only accept the following formats: Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and OpenOffice/NeoOffice (.odt).
- Entries should be double-spaced. Font: Use Courier or Times New Roman, 12 point.
- All submissions should be the writer’s original work. Story must not have been previously published (if you published your story on a personal blog and/or personal social media, we will accept it). Your story must not have won a monetary prize in any other contest.
- One winner will be selected every month. The winner will receive $50. Payment is made through PayPal.
- The winner will be notified by the 30th day of the following month. The results will be published on The Writing District website, our monthly e-newsletter, and on our Facebook and Twitter pages by the 30th of the following month.
- Authors retain all rights to their work.
- The winning author will be given the option to publish their story on our website.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence can be entered into.